ShoutMix chat widget

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Mom War Stories - Celebrity Baby Clothes & the All Pink Wardrobe

I admit it...I love looking at celebrity babies. I've never been much of a celebrity watcher, but the babies of celebrities are different. I'll always stop in the grocery aisles to take a peek at Suri or Shiloh.

I'm not the only one fascinated by the celebrity progeny. The tabloids are full of them because so many of us are interested. And I can't really explain why this is. Why do I feel curious about Angelina and Brad's children, but really don't care that much about Angelina and Brad?

For me, it's partially because children change so quickly - like my child has. The celebrities themselves don't alter that much, but their kids do. I'm also curious about which celebrity parent the child resembles. To me, Suri is a dead-ringer for her dad. For a mom from my daughter's dance class, however, Suri looks exactly like her mother. (We came to the conclusion that Tom and Katie look a lot alike and their daughter looks like both of them.)

Even the clothes worn by the celebrity children are captivating to some people. In fact, there's a popular website devoted to celebrity babies where you can buy some of the clothes worn by the celebrity kids and the gear their mothers use.

I can understand this. Moms like to dress up their kids and children of celebrities have some adorable clothes. Plus, you may actually be able to afford some of the clothes worn by the kids, even if the celebrity clothes are beyond your budget.

I would love to dress my daughter in these clothes too. My daughter, unfortunately, does not care about celebrities or their children, and has no interest in their clothing - no matter how cute those clothes may be. She has strict rules about her wardrobe from which she does not deviate.

Rule #1: It has to be a soft stretchy fabric. My daughter was 18 months old the last time she wore jeans. In addition to jeans, she won't wear corduroy, velvet, or anything else that isn't a soft knit. I gave in and accepted this rule after a particularly painful episode where I tried to force her to wear embroidered burgundy velvet pants that I loved. (She took them off and I put them back on her. She took them off, then threw them in the trash and I put them back on her. She peed in them, then I took them off and gave her soft stretchy pants to wear.) Score=Daughter: 1, Mom: 0

Rule #2: It has to be pink. The pink preference started around two for my daughter, but turned into a obsession by three. To my daughter, pink and purple are girl colors and everything else is for boys. Unfortunately, I had bought quite a few non-pink clothing for her one season before I understood her inflexibility on this rule. Almost all of the cute reds, oranges, blues, and yellows I bought were not worn, no matter how I cajoled, threatened, and reasoned. I traumatized her once by forcing her to wear one of the non-pink outfits to her pre-school. She insisted that all of her friends would laugh at her for wearing "boy clothes" - not understanding that no sane mother would put her son in a top with sequins and glitter. I stopped trying after this and bought only pink, with a smattering of purple. I have to say that it does make the laundry easier and I can always find something that matches. Score=Daughter: 2, Mom: 0

Rule #3: Black and brown are yucky. My daughter used to ask me over and over why I wore black all the time, at a complete loss why anyone would choose to wear such a color. She finally reached the vague conclusion that brown and black are "mommy colors," something you are condemned to wear when you have a baby. She won't even where her beloved pink if it's mixed in with a contaminating black or brown. She experienced a break-through, however, when she received a lovely brown dress hand-painted with pink flowers from a friend on her birthday. After much anguish, she consented to wear the dress because she didn't want to hurt her friend's feelings, but has allowed no other brown or black to enter her wardrobe since then. Score=Daughter 2.5, Mom: .5

Rule #4: Buttons are personally objectionable. Somewhere along the line, my daughter decided that she despised buttons. This includes all buttons, whether they are plain, heart-shaped, or look like animals. I have no idea where she got this one, but no buttons are allowed on her person, whether decorative or functional. Not only will she not wear anything with buttons, she doesn't want my husband and I to wear them either and lectures us when we do. Score=Daughter: 3.5, Mom: .5

Rule #5: Zippers are for jackets and coats only. My daughter likes zippers on her jackets and coats, but not on anything else. She insists on having stretchy waistbands on her pants, skirts, and shorts and if they have a zipper, they usually don't have a stretchy waistband. This one actually makes sense to me. Stretchy waistbands are much more comfortable. Score=Daughter: 4, Mom: 2

I understand this is a control issue for my daughter. And unlike picky eating, it's one in which I can give in to her. I'm even sure that I will feel nostalgic about this in the not-too distant future (when all she wants to wear is black) and think it was all very cute. Still, it would be nice to dress her up in some of those cute celebrity kid clothes.

Really Mad Momma is a site celebrating the madness of motherhood - the things that make us insane, confused, angry, and wildly enthusiastic in our roles as nuturer and protector of our children.

Copyright © 2008 ReallyMadMomma.com

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Elizabeth_Schultz

No comments: